Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tribute to Benazir...


I never supported her or her party but in some sense I always supported her for being a brave woman. Some say she was stupid and not brave to have gone back to Pakistan. I recall saying something to that effect as well and maybe after today's incidents, that statement might ring true to some but I can tell you that after today, I have started respecting the woman. For whatever reason she came to Pakistan, she did not have to, she came to support some, to lead some and she came knowing her life was in danger. I respect her because I have a long way to go before I can call myself even a speck of that show of bravery.

In 2003, I met the lady at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. I secretly got into the VIP room to stand in line and shake hands with her despite the fact that my family and my relatives mostly did not like her political party or her or what they had done in the past. I stood there because I wanted to be around such a "brave" person. I clearly remember saying that and I did shake her hand and my heart did pound. She was strong as a rock, daring as a cheetah and her eyes seemed to pierce right through you. I was scared or maybe I was in awe.

Today, Benazir, by the horrid way your life had to end, I wish you peace in eternity and I wish your family and friends, especially your children and your husband, the patience and strength to bear this loss.

I wish my beloved country to somehow become peaceful and hopeful and I wish the perpetrators to see a just end.

Amen...

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon...

No comments: