Sunday, December 30, 2007

Daniel Pearl...Asra Nomani


A couple of weeks back, Tim told me that we should go hear Asra Nomani, the lady who hosted Marianne and Danny in Karachi, at Caltech. She was doing a talk on "Women's struggle in Islam". Obviously I was super excited. Without having the time to read too much and having watched "A Mighty Heart" and havign a lot of respect for the lady, I showed up to the talk...might I add, one of the most relieving instances of religious dialogue I have had in a while.

A couple of months back it was Khuda Ke Liye that made me finally realize that it was ok to have that whole "questioning" struggle stage with religion and now Asra.

What tripped me out is that she has become more famous because of her stance of women's treatment in mosques and credited for her "Rosa Parks-style activism"...if you are wondering why that is trippy...please read my earlier post.

This woman spoke exactly my language and used my logic....it was "comforting" as she put it...to see others who think and reason and question like you...

No comments: