Sunday, December 30, 2007

me vs society, society vs. me or is vs. just perception.

wow, too much to write here but just two short points.

1) Whenever I move around in the Pakistani society, I am frustrated with the social taboos and stigmas but don't know where to start...it is hard to be optimistic and progressive and yet "fit in" the society...what freaks me out is when I see relatives and friends believing blindly in traditions and instruments of faith...where do I begin without automatically making them switch off their brains saying, "she is American, what does she know"...how do I access their brains...frustrating, very frustrating...but don't want to give up.

2) Mama says that one should sacrifice one's feelings for the betterment of society..aka if you love someone and you know that admitting your feelings for them will cause an upheaval...don't do it...I disagree wholly...can't believe she would say that but she is my mother and I love her regardless...but it makes me uneasy to realize we differ on such a basic point. I say scew the world, it is not worth sacrificing my life over...people draw towards whatever is hot at whichever time, so why worry about what they think, what they say...and the funny thing is, indirectly, she has raised me to be that way..but there is certainly conflict and rebuttal in her own thinking..but then again, who is perfect?

No comments: